- Linksys NSLU2
- USB external harddrive
- Analog Telephone Adapters
- IP phones if desired
- Need to download nslu2 upgrade application
- Need to download uNSLUng firmware
- NSLU2 has to be configured to connect to outside world from private network
- nslu2 has to be put into upgrade mode.
- nslu2 has to be upgraded with uNSLUng firmware
- Harddrive has to be formatted from NSLU2 to EXT3 format
- This isn't just EXT3 this NSLU2's special version of it.
- My experience with an existing NSLU2 EXT3 partition was that had to be deleted after installing uNSLUng and start over.
- Telnet has to be enabled from NSLU2 web interface
- Password has to be changed in certain order without disk attached.
- Unsling command has to be issued from telnet to enable NSLU2 to use disk
- Use telnet to issue ipkg commands to download vsftpd
- Configure vsftpd by writing launch script with VI
- Verify operation with FTP program such as WS_FTP95 LE
- This will be useful later for loading Asterisk config files.
- Use telnet to issue ipkg commands to download asterisk
- Configure asterisk by writing launch script with VI
- Verify operation by running Asterisk from telnet
- Configure asterisk by modifying at least the extension list and dial plan.
- Config IP phones to communicate with NSLU2
- Configure network settings
- Configure SIP settings
- Understanding of what you desire as an end result
- Understanding up front what services you will get free and what will cost
- Understanding this is by no means a normal (simple) plug and play system
- Understanding you will spend hours on internet learning and researching
- Required knowledge of IP networking
- IP address structure
- Port forwarding
- Required knowledge of Telnet
- Basic commands. Start with LS and CD
- Required knowledge of Linux
- Basic commands
- Basic understanding of Linux system structure
- Required use of VI.
- Required understanding of how Asterisk operates
- IP address to extension table
- How extensions operate
- How inbound /outbound calls are handled
- Required knowledge of IP telephone terminology
- FXO vs. FXS
- Dial In / Dial Out
- CODEC types such as ulaw/alaw, GSM, G711u, G711a, G726 etc.
- Required knowledge of NSLU2 specific issues
- uNSLUng firmware / hardware link
- EXT3 harddrive format compatability issues
- ipkg --force-overwrite install asterisk-sounds (This command was written wrong in the install page.)
- 09-21-2008. I heard two people talking today at lunch.
One of them just had Verizon FIOS installed.
One of the things he commented on was that Vonage doesn't work with FIOS.
He ordered "a little box that talked through to the router" (an ATA).
He was able to use VOIP again. This is apparently real world stuff...
- If you just to try out IP telephony and have a Windows PC try 3CX.
It's an Apache server application that works really well.